Optimizing I.V.s in ADCs
Optimizing I.V.s in ADCs assists facilities in implementing safe and effective dispensing methods for I.V. medications using the automated dispensing cabinet (ADC).
- Identify the medication use process with I.V. medications.
- Optimize the current medication dispensing systems.
- Establish a seamless integration of I.V. medications into existing automated workflow.
A clinical evaluation of the facility's medication workflow processes is performed to fully understand how I.V. medications are delivered to the floor. Evaluation focuses on the storage of medications in the ADC and how medications are accessed and dispensed through the ADC. Data are collected through pharmacy and nursing staff interviews, and pharmacy and patient care area observations.
- Detailed list of current medications, proposed medications and the reason for the suggested change in distribution systems.
- Strategies for improving efficiency, reducing potential waste, and enhancing the overall utilization of I.V. medications being dispensed through the ADC.