Optimizing I.V. Distribution
Optimizing I.V. distribution assists facilities in minimizing waste of I.V. medications and implementing effective storage and returns processes.
- Find gaps in current storage and returns processes.
- Identify opportunities to reduce I.V. waste in an effort to contain costs.
- Develop a process that facilitates the use of returned I.V. medications.
Current processes and practices that are used for storing medications on the patient care units and for returning medications to the pharmacy are analyzed. Data are collected through pharmacy staff interviews and pharmacy and patient care area observations.
- A comprehensive action plan that outlines the steps needed to implement storage and returns processes, as well as a waste log.
- Strategies to improve efficiencies, reduce waste, and enhance overall utilization of I.V. medications and premix solutions.